Huevos Reales is a noteworthy no-milk custard dessert. The rum-raisin sauce, flavored with cinnamon is incredibly tasty.
Huevos Reales (Royal Eggs)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 5 servings
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Cup raisins
- 1 2-inch stick cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons light rum
- toasted slivered almonds
- Bring a tea kettle full of water to a boil, reduce to simmer and keep on the heat until needed.
- While the water comes to a boil, in a small mixer bowl beat egg yolks with 2 Tablespoons water and salt about 6 minutes or till thick and light. Pour into buttered 8 X 4 X 2-inch loaf pan, making sure to scrape every drop into the pan.
- Set in a larger pan on oven rack. Pour the simmering water 1 inch deep into outer pan, making sure not to get any water into the custard. The tea kettle should make this easier.
- Bake in 350 Deg F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until set. Cover and chill.
- Loosen egg mixture from sides of pan. turn out and cut into bite sized cubes.
- Place in serving bowl.
- In 1 1/2 quart saucepan combine the 3/4 cup water, sugar, raisins, and cinnamon. cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Discard cinnamon. Stir in rum. Pour over egg cubes in bowl. Chill; sprinkle with almonds.