Served as a side to your main course, this simple, elegant salad is more than appealing – it cleanses the palate and refreshes the appetite. A most delightful combination that provides a base for your own variations.
- 1/4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 Cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 Cups torn mixed greens, such as Bibb, red lettuce leaves and arugula; stems trimmed, and leaves washed and crisped
- Combine garlic, dry mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, sugar and pepper in jar with lid. Cover and shake until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add oil and shake until mixed. (Vinaigrette can be made a few days ahead and refrigerated. Let come to room temperature and shake well before using.)
- Place crisp greens in large bowl. Add 2/3 cup dressing and toss gently until well mixed. Add remaining dressing as needed. Adjust seasoning as needed.
This recipe yields 12 servings.