Hot Sandwiches (Emparedados Calientes) are a Spanish treasure. Ideal for Tapas, lunch or dinner. These delectable morsels are tasty treats.
Hot Sandwiches (Emparedados Calientes)
Author: Barbara Norman
Recipe type: Sandwiches
Serves: 4 servings
- 8 slices bread, slightly stale; 3 to 4 days old
- 1 Cup milk
- 2 eggs; beaten
- 8 slices lean ham
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put milk in a shallow dish and with the aid of a fork, dip bread in it until bread is dampened but not soaked.
- Fold each piece of bread over a slice of ham and put all the sandwiches between two cutting boards under a heavy weight for half an hour. (If you have a stone mortar, that is a very effective weight.)
- Dip the sandwiches in egg beaten with salt and pepper and fry in hot olive oil until well browned.
- Serve hot.
Recipe Source: THE SPANISH COOKBOOK by Barbara Norman