Caramel sauce is primarily used for sweets, but added to other sauces, it may become a wonderful part of savory sauces as well. Incredible!
- 1 1/2 Cups sugar
- 1 Cup half-and-half
- 1/2 Cup light corn syrup
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In medium saucepan, combine sugar, 1/2 cup of the half-and-half, corn syrup and butter.
- Bring to a full boil.
- Gradually add remaining half-and-half. BE SURE BOILING DOES NOT STOP!
- Cook over medium heat to soft ball stage (230 degrees F.), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. (Caution, it will splatter if caramel is too hot!)
- Serve warm over ice cream or cake. Makes 2 cups.
Serve with desserts. Perfect over ice cream or apple pie.