A sweet, rich and easily made dessert full of historic traditions and glorious flavor. Hot Apple Pandowdy is the kind of food that built a nation.
Hot Apple Pandowdy
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 1/4 Cups butter
- 2/3 Cup sugar
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 2 1/2 Cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup milk
- 3 Cups apples, sliced and pared
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 2 Cups sweetened whipped cream
- Cream butter and add sugar gradually. When well combined, mix in the egg.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and add alternately with the milk.
- Spread apples in the bottom of a shallow, well-buttered ovenproof-china baking dish.
- Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over apples. Pour batter over the top, spreading it evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 50 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes after removing from oven. To serve, invert on serving platter or serve directly from baking dish.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream.
A buttered baking pan or dish, 9x9x2, works equally well.