Hoosier Sausage Gravy
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Gravy
- 1/4 pounds sausage
- butter as needed
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 Cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon sausage seasoning, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- biscuits or toast
- Crumble sausage in a skillet; cook until sausage is browned but not hard and dry.
- If the sausage did not produce 3 tablespoons of drippings, add butter so you will have enough drippings to make gravy.
- Sprinkle flour over sausage and drippings; cook and stir until mixture turns light brown.
- Add milk and continue to cook, stirring constantly until gravy thickens. (If the gravy is too thick, add a small amount of milk and stir to blend.
- If the gravy is too thin, continue to cook until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Be sure to stir constantly so the gravy will not become lumpy.)
- Stir in sausage seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Serve over hot bisquits or toast.
The classic comfort food, biscuits and gravy, has been filling up Americans for years.