Honey Nougat is a classical recipe made for centuries in Italy. It is intensely sweet, crunchy, sticky and tasty. Additional flavors may be added with extracts. Lemon, orange, almond, vanilla are all favorites. Not recommended for those with loose dental work!
- 1 Cup hazelnuts
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup water
- 3/4 Cup honey
- 1 egg white
- Toast hazelnuts in moderate oven on oven tray for 10 minutes. While nuts are warm, rub skins off using a clean tea-towel.
- Place sugar and water in small saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Cook syrup, without stirring, until it reaches 140 degrees C. when tested with a candy thermometer or until syrup reaches soft crack stage.
- Stir honey into syrup and return to the boil until temperature is 140 degrees when tested with a candy thermometer or until syrup reaches soft crack stage.
- Beat egg white until stiff peaks form; continue to beat egg white while adding the hot syrup in a thin stream. Beat mixture constantly until it thickens and becomes stiff.
- Fold through hazelnuts; pour into lightly greased 8-inch heat-resistant square pan.
- Allow to cool and set overnight. Cut into bars and then squares using a wet knife.
- Wrap each piece of nougat in cellophane; refrigerate until required.
Chop cooled honey nougat and use as a topping or ingredient in ice cream, or as a garnish for cakes or cookies.
Braised Leeks are an awesome and flavorful British side dish, with a direct Welsh connection. Simply...
Luscious, scintillating, delectable and finger-licking good, Coffee Liqueur Dipper Wings make great ...
Jamaican Turkey Burgers are spicy, delicious and enticing sandwiches, perfect for luncheon or dinner...
The wealth of taste experiences in Pecan Wild Rice Pilaf is without boundaries.