A Southern classic, this recipe is one of our favorites. Eaten hot or cold, Honey Fried Chicken has a delightful sweetness that compliments its crunchy coating perfectly. Superb for lunch, dinner or a picnic with biscuits.
- 1 Quart buttermilk
- 6 Cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- cooking oil to fill a large skillet halfway.
- 8 chicken pieces
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 2 eggs
- your favorite chicken spices
- Mix honey and buttermilk together and pour into a shallow bowl.
- Place chicken pieces in honey/buttermilk mixture and let sit for at least 4 hours.
- Once the chicken has set, mix eggs and 2 Cups of the buttermilk/honey mixture in another bowl.
- Combine and flour, baking soda and your favorite chicken spices in a third bowl. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, cover in egg/buttermilk mixture and redredge.
- Fry in skillet with oil temperature at 375 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.
- Turn chicken every 5 minutes. Once done, place on paper towels to drain.
- To make gravy, drain all but 2 or 3 tablespoons of oil from skillet. Off the heat, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour and mix with oil. Place on medium high heat and let flour brown some.
- Stir in 1/2 cup milk and bring to boil. If gravy is to thick add more milk. Salt to taste.
A delicious accompaniment with your meal, Herb-Cheese Biscuits are crisp, light and flavorful. Perfe...
These tasty, crunchy biscuits are a gem of American colonial cuisine and as modern today as they wer...
You'd never believe this is British cuisine, but Pork and Prune Casserole is a classic from southern...
Sweet, nutty and crunchy, these wonderful Almond-Raisin Biscotti are packed with delightful flavor a...