Honey and Bacon Fried Chicken with Lemon Gravy
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Poultry
- 1 chicken; about 4 pounds, cut in serving pieces
- 1/4 Cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 bacon strips
- 1/2 Cup vegetable shortening
- 3 Tablespoons flour, all purpose
- 3 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 Cup chicken stock
- 1 Cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon chives; fresh chopped
- Matchless recipes stem from unlikely places. This recipe was uncovered in a bed-and-breakfast" establishment not far from Nashville, Tennessee. When the meal was praised to the heavens, the owner admitted the recipe was not exactly her own. Her grandmother brought a honey-baked chicken as part of dowry when she sailed from Scotland to America in the late nineteenth century. In the intervening years, she altered her chicken to its present sensational rendition. After I ate extra portions for two days, she generously donated the recipe."
- Place the chicken in a shallow glass dish or ceramic bowl. Combine the honey with the vinegar and pour over the chicken, turning the pieces to coat with the mixture. Let stand, covered, 2 hours. Saute the bacon in a 12-15 inch cast iron skillet till crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble and set aside. Add the vegetable shortening to the bacon drippings. Heat over medium-low heat until hot.
- Meanwhile, remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and pat dry. Combine the flours, with the salt and pepper to taste on a plate. Coat the chicken pieces well with the flour mixture. Set aside 1 Tablespoon of the flour mixture. Gently place the floured chicken skin side down in the hot grease. Slowly fry the chicken pieces until crisp and the juices run yellow when pricked with a fork, about 20 minutes on each side.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Drain the chicken pieces on a paper bag and place on a shallow heatproof serving platter. Place in the oven 12 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, discard all but 1 Tablespoon drippings from the skillet. Stir in the reserved 1 Tablespoon flour mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Whisk in the chicken stock and cream, scraping the sides and the bottom of the skillet. Cook over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in the lemon juice and hot pepper sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the chives. Spoon some of the gravy over the chicken pieces and sprinkle with the reserved bacon. Pass the remaining gravy on the side.
- SERVES: 4
Source: "As American as Apple Pie" by Phillip Stephen Schultz