Holiday Shirmp Newburg is a glorious recipe perfect for entertaining, its relaxing, comforting flavors yield only to the beauty of its presentation.
Instead of rice or noodles, serve from a chafing dish for holiday entertaining, with a rice or noodles pot on the side or, for a sit-down brunch, try serving this over toasted English muffins. Garnish with a sprig of dill and a chive. Spectacular.
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 mushrooms sliced thin
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 1/4 Cup Sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, cleaned
- 1 Cup 35 percent real whipping cream
- 1/2 Cup peas
- steamed rice
- chopped chives, for garnish, optional
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onions, celery and garlic. Cook a few minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with flour and cook gently 3 to 4 minutes.
- Whisk in wine or chicken stock, sherry, turmeric, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. cook 5 minutes.
- Add shrimps and cream. Heat thoroughly and then simmer 5 minutes. Add peas and cook 3 to 5 minutes longer. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve over rice or noodles. Garnish with chives, if desired.
Sfogliatelle are extraordinary pastries are found in every Italian bakery from Alaska to Zambia. A f...
A key, critical ingredient to a superb turkey gravy or soup, this Turkey Stock yields spectacular re...
Athenian Rice Pudding is the recipe you find in Greek-owned diners. Creamy, flavorful, comforting an...
The addition of port wine to the filling adds a unique richness to Apple Pie with Port and Cheddar C...