Pureed pumpkin makes an excellent soup, well suited to holiday presentation. Creamy and delicious, its earthy goodness is accentuated by parsley and mint.
Holiday Pumpkin Soup
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 4 Cups chicken broth
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 4 pounds fresh pumpkin
- 2 Cups water
- 2 Cups half and half
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup fresh parsley, chopped
- chopped mint for garnish
- Peel, seed, and cook pumpkin.
- Make broth with bouillon.
- Cut pumpkin into 1" cubes and place in broth. Simmer for 5 minutes, then puree in blender.
- Return puree to heat; add half & half and molasses.
- Add butter, ginger and nutmeg; simmer 10 minutes. Add parsley; simmer 10 minutes more.
- Serve with fresh chopped mint on top.