Hochrippe und Sauerkraut is an amazing German casserole that is heartwarming, slow cooking, and utterly delicious. The flavors will fill you with delight.
Hochrippe und Sauerkraut (Spareribs and Sauerkraut)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 32 ounces sauerkraut; canned (2 cans)
- 3 pounds spareribs; country style
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 6 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 bacon; slices, rolled in flour
- Rinse and drain the sauerkraut. Place sauerkraut in large 4-quart casserole. Add 2 quarts hot water.
- Add uncooked spareribs, paprika, bouillon cubes, caraway seeds, and pepper. Cook covered, over low heat, 3 to 4 hours.
- Fry floured bacon slices. Break bacon into saurkraut.
- Remove bones from the sauce before serving.
- Serve with dark bread and steins of beer.
Photo shown topped with sauteed apples.