Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Breads and Rolls
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 3 Cups water, divided (110-115 degrees)
- 2 Tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 8-8 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in 110 degrees F warm water add 1 Tbs. Sugar and let stand about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining water and sugar. Beat in oil, salt and 4 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic for about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl turning once to grease the top.
- Cover and let rise 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured board, divide into 18 pieces.
- Shape into an elongated oval.
- Place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheets.
- With scissors cut a 1/4 in slash across the top of each. See Notes below:
- Cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- Bake at 400 for 13-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
Optionally, you may brush the top of these with warm water and sprinkle sesame or poppy seeds on them. We've even tried them with sunflower seeds (chopped). Exceptional.
Use these to make Philadelphia Cheesesteaks, Philly Hoagies or French Dip Sandwiches.