Adding your own favorite flavor to vinegar is great for making salads special, but these bottles also make great gifts from the pantry for close friends and loved ones.
Author: St. Louis Post-Dispatch
Recipe type: Accompaniments
Serves: 1 pint (2 Cups)
- 2 Cups white cider or wine vinegar
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh herbs (such as: basil, rosemary, tarragon, thyme or oregano)
- 3 whole cloves garlic (to 4); optional
- 1 fresh herb sprig per bottle (to 2; optional
- 1 whole red or green chili per bottle; optional
- Place the vinegar in a non-aluminum saucepan and bring to a boil. Place the chopped herbs in a clean, hot glass jar. Add the garlic. Pour the hot vinegar over, cover and place in a cool, dark place for 5 days, stirring once a day. Strain. Add the sprigs of fresh herbs and chili for a zestier taste and garnish.
- Store in a cool, dark place for up to 2 months. Refrigerate for longer storage.
- Yields 2 cups.
Resize this recipe to suit your needs.