Herb Roasted Turkey with Mushroom Gravy is the perfect choice for your holiday turkey and gravy. The family will love it. Great for entertaining, too!
Herb Roasted Turkey with Mushroom Gravy
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 10 pound to 12 pound turkey; thawed if frozen
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 medium onion; quartered
- 1 lemon; use peel only, cut into slices
- 1 Cup dried mushrooms; reconstituted* (reserve 1 Cup liquid)
- 1 Cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ounce (2 Tablespoons) dry white wine; or increase broth by 2 Tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chives
- salt, as needed, preferably Kosher
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- *To reconstitute mushrooms, cover 1/2 ounce dried sliced mushrooms with 1 1/2 cups warm water. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove turkey giblets and neck from body cavities. Rinse turkey inside and out; pat dry with paper towels.
- Starting at neck, using your fingers, gently loosen skin over entire breast. Place thyme and rosemary sprigs at even intervals under skin; pat skin back in place. Place onion and lemon peel in body cavity. Place turkey breast-side up on rack in roasting pan.
- Roast turkey 3 1/2-4 hours, until meat thermometer inserted in fleshy part of inner thigh (not touching bone) reaches 180 degrees F. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Remove skin before eating.
- Meanwhile, to prepare gravy, pour pan drippings into a 2-cup measure; let stand 5 minutes. Skim off and discard fat; pour remaining liquid into small saucepan. Add mushrooms and 1 cup mushroom liquid, broth, wine, potato starch, chives, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Simmer 2 minutes.
- Serve the Mushroom Gravy with the turkey.
Each serving (3 ounces turkey and 1/4 cup gravy) provides: 3 P, 1/4 V, 5 C. Per serving: 159 cal, 25 g pro, 4 g fat, 3 g car, 114 mg sod, 65 mg chol.