Hazelnut Apricot Torte
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Desserts
Serves: 1 torte
- 3 ounces white chocolate
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 Cup sugar, divided
- 2 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 Cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 Cup roasted hazelnuts, finely ground
- 3 Cups heavy cream
- 10 ounces white chocolate
- 3 Tablespoons hazelnut liqueur
- 3/4 Cup apricot jam
- 1 1/2 Cups roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- Melt white chocolate in double boiler, cool to lukewarm. Beat egg whites until frothy. Add cream of tartar and gradually add 2 Tablespoons of the sugar. Whip to firm, but not dry peaks; set aside.
- Cream together the butter and remaining sugar. Beat in egg yolks and mix in along with the hazelnuts. Lighten batter by whisking in 1 cup of the egg whites. Gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour into greased, parchment-lined 11x17x1-inch baking pan. Bake in 375 oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden and set. Cool.
- For filling, heat cream to simmering. Remove from heat and stir in white chocolate until melted. Chill. When cold, beat to medium whipped cream consistency. Beat in liqueur.
- Remove 1-1/2 cups of the filling and whisk in 1/4 cup apricot jam.
- To assemble, trim edges off cake. Slice vertically in four equal pieces, about 3-1/2 inches wide and 10 inches long.
- Stack three layers, spreading each with apricot jam and 1/3 of the apricot filling. Place fourth layer on top and spread top and sides with white chocolate cream.
- Press chopped hazelnuts into sides and decorate top with apricot jam and white chocolate rosettes. Keep refrigerated.