Hartshorn German Christmas Cookies
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Cookies
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/16 Cups shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon Hartshorne ***
- 1/2 Cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 flour to stiffen
- 1 ounce anise seeds.
- * Hartshorn can be obtained at your pharmacy. It is ammonium crystals. If not available, try ordering online or use Baking soda.
- Mix sugar, salt, shortening, eggs,and milk.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the Hartshorn in the boiling water. Make sure it is completely dissolved.
- Add vanilla and anise seeds to the sugar mixture.
- Add hartshorn mixture to sugar mixture.
- Add enough flour to the sugar mixture to stiffen and not to be sticky. It may require 4-5 pounds!
- Roll out dough on floured surface, and cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake immediately after mixing in a moderate oven (325-350F) for 10-15 minutes.
- This entire recipe will make between 180-220 cookies. One half the recipe is suggested (up to 100 cookies). But, they are great and go fast!