The exceptional qualities of Ham Fritters makes them perfect for entertaining, and sharing at parties. Perfect with Cumberland Sauce.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 3 Cups
- 1 Cup ham drippings, free of fat
- 1 lemon
- 1 orange
- 2 Tablespoons prepared mustard (not grainy)
- 1 Cup port or Madeira wine
- 1 Cup red currant jelly
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- salt, pepper and Cayenne to taste
- 1 1/2 Cups ground cooked ham
- 2 Cups sifted flour
- 2 Cups boiling water
- 4 large eggs
- cooking fat for deep frying
- FRITTERS: Stir the flour into rapidly boiling water and continue to cook, stirring vigorously, until the batter leaves the sides of the pan.
- Lower the heat and beat in the eggs, one at a time. Remove from the heat and stir in the ham.
- Bring the fat up to 390 degrees F. on a thermometer and drop the batter by teaspoons into it.
- Cook until golden brown all over, then drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve with Cumberland sauce.
- CUMBERLAND SAUCE: Grate the rind of the lemon and the orange, then squeeze the juice from the fruit. Combine these with all the other ingredients and cook together until well blended. Season to taste. Makes 3 cups.