Make a chocolate, pumpkin, white, golden or even a carrot cake for this recipe. Always a treat, the more you decorate Halloween Pumpkin-Shaped Cake, the greater the praise from family and friends. Be creative!
- 2 packages cake mix, prepared
- 2 cans white frosting
- food coloring (red, green, yellow)
- 1 Hostess Ho-Ho (or similar cake-roll; snack item) or
- 1 ice cream cone (the short variety)
- licorice (in sheets, if possible) or dark chocolate frosting
- Prepare two cakes in bundt pans, cool completely.
- Color most of the frosting a deep orange, reserving about 1/2 cup, which should be colored black (you may also use dark chocolate fudge frosting).
- Place one bundt cake upside down (rounded side on the bottom) on cake plate; frost top only.
- Place second bundt cake flat-side down on top of first cake, making sure to line up the ribs.
- Frost entire cake with orange frosting, making up and down motions with spatula to simulate pumpkin, or, as shown, decorate as if the orange icing is poured over the cake.
- Insert Ho-Ho or inverted ice cream cone in the middle of the top of the bundt cake to make the stem.
- Use black frosting to make eyes, nose, mouth, etc.
- Black rope licorice may also be used.
The decorating possibilities are endless. The one photographed in the smaller picture above is a chocolate cake, with orange and green icing. We used a chocolate pudding to join the two cakes together, sprinkling a bit of simple syrup on the cake before joining the two pieces, and on the top piece before coating with the icing.
The larger cake is golden cake with pumpkin-orange frosting and much more decoration. As you can see, both fluted and plain bundt pans work perfectly.
As we near St. Patrick's Day, our Emerald Isle Cupcakes make marvelous treats for your family, and p...
Texas Smoked Barbecue Brisket is always prepared with a dry rub, with amazing results every time. On...
A rich, flavorful cake with a sweet, delectable frosting, Southern Red Velvet Cake is an absolute de...
Biscotti Napoletani are served in Italy on the side of a cup of espresso, cappuccino or other hot be...