Make a chocolate, pumpkin, white, golden or even a carrot cake for this recipe. Always a treat, the more you decorate Halloween Pumpkin-Shaped Cake, the greater the praise from family and friends. Be creative!
- 2 packages cake mix, prepared
- 2 cans white frosting
- food coloring (red, green, yellow)
- 1 Hostess Ho-Ho (or similar cake-roll; snack item) or
- 1 ice cream cone (the short variety)
- licorice (in sheets, if possible) or dark chocolate frosting
- Prepare two cakes in bundt pans, cool completely.
- Color most of the frosting a deep orange, reserving about 1/2 cup, which should be colored black (you may also use dark chocolate fudge frosting).
- Place one bundt cake upside down (rounded side on the bottom) on cake plate; frost top only.
- Place second bundt cake flat-side down on top of first cake, making sure to line up the ribs.
- Frost entire cake with orange frosting, making up and down motions with spatula to simulate pumpkin, or, as shown, decorate as if the orange icing is poured over the cake.
- Insert Ho-Ho or inverted ice cream cone in the middle of the top of the bundt cake to make the stem.
- Use black frosting to make eyes, nose, mouth, etc.
- Black rope licorice may also be used.
The decorating possibilities are endless. The one photographed in the smaller picture above is a chocolate cake, with orange and green icing. We used a chocolate pudding to join the two cakes together, sprinkling a bit of simple syrup on the cake before joining the two pieces, and on the top piece before coating with the icing.
The larger cake is golden cake with pumpkin-orange frosting and much more decoration. As you can see, both fluted and plain bundt pans work perfectly.