Halloween Apples on a Stick
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Candies
- 12 small red eating apples
- 12 wooden skewers, thick ones, or ice cream sticks
- 3 Cups sugar
- 3/4 Cup light corn syrup
- 1 Cup water
- few drops oil of cloves
- red food coloring or,
- 12 red cinnamon candies
- Wash apples in hot water and dry. Insert a skewer in blossom end of each apple. In a saucepan mix sugar, corn syrup, and water.
- Cook over direct heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Add oil of cloves and a little coloring. Continue cooking, without stirring, until a small amount of mixture forms a hard piece that cracks when dropped into cold water (290 F. on a candy thermometer). Set pan over boiling water.
- Dip each apple into syrup, remove, and whirl apple until syrup covers it smoothly.
- Stand apples, skewer side up, on tray or plate to cool and harden.