Grilled Sweet Onions
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Vegetables
- 4 medium sweet onions (4 to 5 ounces each)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel onions; cut almost through each onion forming 8 wedges. Tear off four 24- by 18-inch pieces of heavy foil. Fold each in half crosswise. Trim to make 12-inch squares.
- Place an onion in the center of each foil square. Stir together butter, mustard, and hot pepper sauce. Drizzle mixture over onions. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bring up two opposite edges of each foil square and seal with double fold. Then fold remaining ends to completely enclose each onion, leaving space for steam to build.
- Arrange preheated coals around drip pan in a covered grill. Test for medium heat above pan. Place foil packets on grill over drip pan. Cover and grill for 25 minutes or until onions are nearly tender.
- Make a 2-inch opening in the top of each packet. Cover and grill for 10 minutes more or until onions are lightly browned. Sprinkle with pepper.
These decorative onion flowers can dress up any barbecued meat, poultry, or fish. Choose Vidalia, Walla Walla, or other locally available sweet onions.