Grilled Salmon with Blackberry-Cabernet Coulis is a regal dish that’s sublime. Exceptional flavor comes from the unique combination of blackberries and Cabernet in an outstanding sauce. Fit for a holiday dinner or family meal.
- 1 Cup Cabernet Sauvignon (or other dry red wine)
- 2 1/2 Cups blackberries; rinsed, drained
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tablespoons sugar (to 3)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 6 salmon steaks, 1" thick (6 to 7 ounces each)
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- In a food processor or blender, combine wine and 2 cups berries; whirl until pureed. Rub berry mixture through a fine strainer into a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan; discard residue. Add shallots, ginger, and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bring berry mixture to a boil over high heat, and stir often until reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and more sugar to taste. (The berry sauce should be nicely balanced between sweet and tart; judge the amount of sugar to add by the sweetness of the fruit.)
- Rinse salmon and pat dry. Coil belly strips of fish into center of steaks and secure each portion with a small skewer (such as the kind used for trussing turkeys).
- Lay salmon on an oiled grill over a solid bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook fish, turning once, until opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), 7 to 10 minutes.
- Set a salmon steak on each of 6 warm plates (remove skewers if desired). Spoon berry coulis (if cool, stir over high heat until warm, about 1 minute) equally over steaks. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup whole berries; add salt and pepper to taste.
An ancient custom to celebrate Epiphany, the visitation of the three kings. Galette des Rois is a gr...
Toad in the Hole is a simple, but wonderful recipe that is always a favorite, particularly by childr...
Champeach Sorbet is a simple recipe, with complex and delicious results. Serve with a sliced peach a...
Luscious, flavorful and heart-warming, Goldwasser Holiday Goose is one of the recipes that enhance y...