Outstanding Southwest cuisine, this recipe blends the best of American and Mexican cooking in one. Creative, elegant, yet very comforting, each morsel is a treasure.
Grilled Pork Chops with Poblano Cream Sauce
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 4 loin pork chops, 3/4-inch thick each
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano; crumbled
- salt, to taste
- 1/3 Cup garlic oil
- 2 cloves garlic; sliced
- chopped cilantro; for garnish
Poblano Cream Sauce:
- 4 Poblano chilies
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic; minced
- 1/3 Cup chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup chicken broth
- 1 Cup whipping cream
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Pork Chops: season pork chops with oregano, and salt to taste. Arrange chops in glass baking dish in single layer, pour garlic oil over and add sliced garlic. Cover and marinate several hours or overnight.
- Grill chops on hot outdoor grill or heavy cast-iron grill pan set on stove until brown on outside yet light pink in center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve with warm Poblano Cream Sauce and garnish with cilantro and reserved pepper strips (from Cream Sauce).
- Poblano Cream Sauce: Roast poblano chilies on rack over gas burner or on pan beneath broiler until charred on all sides. Put roasted peppers in paper bag and fold end over to seal. Let stand to allow peppers to sweat, about 15 minutes.
- Peel peppers, then cut each in half and remove ribs and seeds. Cut 2 pepper halves lengthwise into strips and set aside for garnish. Chop remaining peppers coarsely and set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and saute until onion just begins to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in broth and whipping cream. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until sauce begins to thicken slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped chilies and simmer 1 minute.
- Pour into blender and puree. Return sauce to skillet, add salt and pepper to taste and keep warm.
Serving size: each serving Calories: 640 Fat: 58 g Carbohydrates: 5 g Sodium: 307 mg Fiber: 0.32 g Protein: 27 g Cholesterol: 172 mg