The sweet flavors of freshly squeezed orange juice and honey are balanced with just enough vinegar so that the marinade doesn’t overpower the fish. Trout has a delicate flavor so you don’t want to bury it in strong flavors. The marinade is great for chicken, pork and shellfish as well.
- 4 trout (16 ounces each, weight after cleaning)
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 Cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 Cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 1/4 Cup minced red onion
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Season trout evenly with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, blend marinade ingredients and set aside.
- Place trout in a plastic, ceramic or glass container and pour marinade over.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- Place marinated trout over medium-hot coals. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes per side or until skin is crispy and trout is just cooked.
- This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 154 Calories; 14g Fat (76.6 percent calories from fat); 1g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 2mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.