Hot, spicy, mellow and delightful are some of the words you will hear from those who eat this wonderful and flavorful dish.
Grilled Lamb Chops with Chutney and Potatoes
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Lamb or Mutton
- Tomato Pear Chutney:
- 2 Cups tomatoes, peeled seeded, coarsely chopped
- 2 Cups pears, peeled, cored coarsely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion(s) coarsely chopped
- 1 Cup raisins
- 2 Cups light brown sugar, packed
- 1 Cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 Cup ginger, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 hot green chilies seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 Cup olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons red wine
- 2 Tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 lamb loin chops (5 ounces each)
- chopped mint to garnish
- Chile Mashed Potatoes:
- 2 pounds new potatoes, peeled, cut in chunks if large
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons Anaheim or Serrano chilies finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup (to 1/2 Cup) milk
- To prepare Tomato-Pear Chutney, combine tomatoes, pears, onions, raisins, sugar, vinegar, ginger, mustard seeds, cinnamon sticks, chile peppers and salt in a 2-quart nonreactive pan. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until all the fruit is soft and the chutney begins to thicken, about 1 hour. Remove cinnamon sticks.
- Reserve as mush chutney as desired for this meal. Spoon remaining mixture into sterilized jars. Place lids on top and store in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks or in a cool, dark place. Makes 5-6 pints.
- To prepare lamb, combine oil, wine, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add lamb chop, turning to coat thoroughly on both sides. Marinate for 2 hours or more at room temperature, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare Chile Mashed Potatoes. Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until soft; drain. While potatoes are still hot, mash in butter, sour cream, and chile peppers, adding milk gradually until potatoes are light and fluffy. Add salt to taste.
- Remove lamb chops from marinade and pan-fry or grill until done.
- To serve, place about 3/4 Cup of mashed potatoes on each dinner plate. Arrange lamb chop on side of potatoes. Garnish with 2 generous tbs of chutney. Sprinkle lamb chops with mint.