Deliciously scary, Grilled Ghost and Pumpkin Cheese Sandwiches make an ideal luncheon or buffet dish for young and old alike. A memorable treat for all. Serve with a bowl of soup, garnished for the holiday.
- 16 slices white or whole wheat bread
- 8 slices white cheese such as Jack
- 4 large pitted black olives
- 8 slices Cheddar cheese
- 1 can chopped black olives (4 ounces)
- 4 large pitted green olives
- 12 Pimento slices
- Press ghost cookie cutter into 1 bread slice. Tear off and discard excess bread around cutter; set ghost-shaped piece of bread aside. Repeat with 7 more bread slices. Using pumpkin cookie cutter, cut remaining bread into pumpkin shapes in same manner. Toast "ghosts" and "pumpkins" under broiler until golden brown, about 1 minute. Turn over and repeat on other side.
- Remove bread from oven and set aside.
- Use ghost cookie cutter to cut 8 ghost shapes from white cheese slices.
- With a small sharp knife, cut two eye holes in each white cheese slice.
- Make sure the "eyes" are large enough to stay open when the cheese melts.
- Slice black olives in half lengthwise. Place on ghost bread slices where the ghosts' eyes will go. Place 1 ghost-shaped slice white cheese on 1 ghost bread slice with eye holes over olives. Repeat with remaining ghost bread and white cheese.
- Use pumpkin cookie cutter to cut 8 pumpkin shapes from orange cheese slices. Cut 2 eye holes and mouth into each cheese slice. Cover surface of pumpkin bread slices with chopped black olives. Slice green olives in half lengthwise. Place one green olive slice on stem and trim to fit.
- Place orange cheese on top of bread and olives. Put pimento slices into mouth hole for the mouth. Place all sandwiches on a baking sheet and set under under broiler until cheese is slightly melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
The tools required for these sandwiches are 1 ghost-shaped cookie cutter, 1 pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter, 1 to 2 baking sheets and a knife. Additional (and more adult) filling ideas: For ghosts, top bread with pizza sauce, mustard or pesto. Add a slice of sandwich meat such as ham or smoked turkey. For pumpkins, replace black olives with olive tapenade, pimento with roasted red peppers and green olive with basil pesto.
Preserving the summer harvest is a great way to keep seasonal flavors all year long. Zesty Marinated...
The simple but incredible flavor of Garlic Mashed Potatoes adds to any meal. Perfect with roasts or...
The incredible simplicity of Green Garden Soup belies the outstanding flavors and luscious texture f...
Strawberry-Rhubarb Cobbler is a glorious treat and perfect for the beginning of the summer season wh...