Green Beans Braised with Mint and Potatoes
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beans
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil and butter, mixed
- 1 Cup tomato juice or sauce
- 1 pound fresh green beans; trimmed, cut
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, opt.
- 2 medium potatoes; peeled
- 1 salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 chopped fresh mint
- Heat the fat in an enameled pan and mix in the tomato juice or sauce. Add the green beans and parsley to the pan with enough water to almost cover. Tuck the potato slices in between, partially cover the pan, and simmer for 25 minutes, the stir and season with salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons chopped mint. Cook uncovered until the beans and potatoes are fork tender, about 10 more minutes. If the sauce has not thickened, pour it into a small pan, and boil down to one cup, then combine with the beans and potatoes in a warm serving bowl. Sprinkle with a little additional fresh mint and serve warm. Excellent with grilled chops, fish or egg dish, but equally good as a main course with cheese.