To complement the pleasant mustiness of Taleggio cheese, we paired it with grapes bathed in grappa. Delicious for lunch, Grape and Taleggio Grilled Cheese Sandwich would be equally good cut into rectangles as a quick hors d’oeuvre.
- 1/3 Cup halved red grapes
- 1 Tablespoon grappa
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 (1/2-inch-thick, 4-by-5-inch-long) slices honey whole wheat bread
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Taleggio cheese
- 1. Combine grapes and grappa in a bowl and let macerate for 15 to 20 minutes. Drain off excess grappa.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread.
- Once the pan is warm, add 1 slice of bread buttered side down, and top with 1/2 of the cheese, all the grapes, and finally the remaining cheese. Close with the second bread slice, buttered side up.
- Cook until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.
Taleggio is a washed-rind, semisoft cheese from Italy’s Lombardy region.
Omit the grappa if making this recipe for children. You may substitute other cheeses for Taleggio. Wonderful with Brie, Camembert, Cheddar or Gouda.