Grandma Vanicek's Czechoslovakian Potato Dumplings
Author: Cate Vanicek
Recipe type: Side Dishes
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 all-purpose flour
- Boil peeled potatoes in small quantity of water. Drain potatoes thoroughly. Rice potatoes through hand held masher or ricer. Let potatoes cool.
- On floured board, gradually add flour and egg yolk working mixture into a dough with your hands.
- Shape potato mixture into a long roll and cut into 10 slices. Drop dumplings into boiling water and boil gently about 5 minutes.
- Drain dumplings on paper towel. The dumplings are fully cooked after the boiling process, but traditionally, Czechoslovakians then melt butter in a heavy frying pan, and fry the dumplings until they are lightly browned on all sides.
- These are *not* fluffy dumplings as in chicken and dumplings. They are a "sturdy" potato dumpling served as a side dish to meat, and usually with a sweet sauerkraut/carraway/honey dish as the vegetable.
SOURCE: Grandma Vanicek's Czechoslovakian recipes.