Potato gnocchi pair perfectly with browned butter, giving the pasta a nutty taste. Prosciutto and asparagus add wonderful flavors yielding a delicious, flavorful dish.
Gnocci with Brown Butter, Prosciutto and Asparagus
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Pasta, Main
- 4 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled
- salt as needed
- 1 1/2 Cups unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- white pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 1/3 Cups flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 pound piece Prosciutto di Parma, cut in to 1/4" dice
- 24 spears thin asparagus, blanched
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- parsley sprigs to garnish
- Cook potatoes in salted water; drain. Put potatoes and 1/4 cup butter through ricer; cool. Season with salt, nutmeg, white pepper and cheese.
- Gently mix in flour. Whisk together eggs; mix lightly into potato mixture.
- Roll dough to 1-inch thickness. Cut and pinch into 3/4-inch pieces; set aside.
- Bring pot of salted water to boil. Drop in gnocchi and cook until they rise to the surface. Drain and set aside.
- In sauté pan, heat remaining butter until it begins to brown. Add prosciutto and asparagus and toss until warm. Toss with gnocchi, adding black pepper and more salt if needed. Garnish with parsley.