Glazed Irish Tea Cake features the addition of cream cheese giving it a moist, delectable texture. Prepared much like a quick bread, the cake is glazed with a sweet lemon syrup, which makes it irresistible, light and delicious.
- 3/4 Cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 Cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup dried currants
- 2/3 Cup buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 325 degrees F, with rack in center of oven.
- Generously grease a 9-inch (7-cup capacity) loaf pan. Dust with flour; tap pan over sink to discard excess flour. Cut piece of parchment paper or waxed paper to fit bottom of pan. Set aside.
- Use mixer to cream butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating each until fluffy. Add cream cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Put currants in small bowl. Add 1/4 cup of flour mixture to currants. Stir currants until well coated. Add remaining flour to batter, alternating with buttermilk. Mix until smooth.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in currants and all of the flour. Stir until well combined. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Smooth surface with spatula.
- Bake until well-browned and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour, 25 minutes.
- The cake will crack on top. Let cake rest in pan for 10 minutes. Use a flexible metal spatula to separate cake from sides of pan. Carefully remove the cake from the pan to a cooling rack. Spread glaze on the warm cake. Let the cake cool completely.
- This cake can be stored 3 days at room temperature in foil. It can also be frozen up to 3 months, wrapped airtight.
- Combine sugar and lemon juice in small bowl. Stir until smooth.
The crisp, tangy flavor of Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken makes for a wonderful dinner or lunch ma...
Laurel's Lavender Ice Cream offers a lovely, delicious and seductively romantic dessert that is sure...
Mudslide Cookies are seriously wonderful treats that are ideal with milk, or even with mixed drinks....
The amazing flavor of Caramel Corn Ice Cream isn't the only thing that makes it exciting. The sweet ...