Glazed Irish Tea Cake features the addition of cream cheese giving it a moist, delectable texture. Prepared much like a quick bread, the cake is glazed with a sweet lemon syrup, which makes it irresistible, light and delicious.
- 3/4 Cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 Cups cake flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup dried currants
- 2/3 Cup buttermilk
- 1/2 Cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 325 degrees F, with rack in center of oven.
- Generously grease a 9-inch (7-cup capacity) loaf pan. Dust with flour; tap pan over sink to discard excess flour. Cut piece of parchment paper or waxed paper to fit bottom of pan. Set aside.
- Use mixer to cream butter, sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating each until fluffy. Add cream cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Put currants in small bowl. Add 1/4 cup of flour mixture to currants. Stir currants until well coated. Add remaining flour to batter, alternating with buttermilk. Mix until smooth.
- Use a wooden spoon to stir in currants and all of the flour. Stir until well combined. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Smooth surface with spatula.
- Bake until well-browned and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour, 25 minutes.
- The cake will crack on top. Let cake rest in pan for 10 minutes. Use a flexible metal spatula to separate cake from sides of pan. Carefully remove the cake from the pan to a cooling rack. Spread glaze on the warm cake. Let the cake cool completely.
- This cake can be stored 3 days at room temperature in foil. It can also be frozen up to 3 months, wrapped airtight.
- Combine sugar and lemon juice in small bowl. Stir until smooth.
The oldest established Jewish community is in Rome, where these Italian-style Sufganiyot are an annu...
Full of vegetables and delicious flavors, Vegetable Frittata makes an exceptional meal for the famil...
Fettuccine with Cream, Basil and Romano is a flavor-rich main or pasta course that's sure to please....
Honey Nougat is a classical recipe made for centuries in Italy. It is intensely sweet, crunchy, stic...