A simple, delicious side dish, Gingered Squash is tasty, with a delightful flavor that pairs well with roasts, braised meats or casseroles.
A great side dish with roasts or casseroles.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
Serves: 6 to 8
- 3 1/2 pounds butternut or other winter squash (peeled, seeded) and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 Cup vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup peach or apricot jam, or orange marmalade
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar, preferably from sugar beets
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large non-stick skillet, add the squash, stock, ginger, and cinnamon, and bring to a boil. Cover the skillet, reduce to medium heat, and cook the squash for 15 to 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove the lid, add the remaining ingredients, toss gently to combine, and cook the mixture an additional 2 to 3 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed.
- Transfer to a large bowl for service.
Calories: 34 Sodium: 134mg Cholesterol: 0mg