The deep, sweet, rich flavor of Creme Brulée is sublimely accented by the addition of ginger and blackberries, but you can get equally fine results with raspberries or blueberries to create an extraordinary dessert.
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 2 ounces sliced fresh ginger root (about 1/4 Cup)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 Cup sugar; plus additional for caramelizing
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place the cream and gingerroot in a small pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Off heat, steep for 1 hour.
- Place the vanilla, sugar, egg yolks, and salt in a bowl and mix to combine. Reheat the cream over medium heat and bring back to a boil. Pour the cream over the egg mixture in a steady stream, whisking all the while. Pour through a strainer and discard the solids. If desired, cool in an ice bath and refrigerate up to 2 days.
- Pour the custard into eight 5-ounce ramekins. Place the ramekins in a large baking pan and fill halfway with hot water. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake until the tops quiver but do not ripple, about 35 minutes if the mixture is hot when put in the oven, or 50 minutes if chilled. Set aside to cool. (You can cover and refrigerate the custards at this point up to 2 days.)
- Sprinkle the tops with sugar and caramelize with a hand-held propane torch set on medium using short sweeping strokes. Serve immediately.
- This recipe yields 8 servings.
We use a blowtorch to caramelize these, but if you don't have one, they can be prepared as above and broiled for a few minutes to caramelize the sugar! The only drawback to this method is that you need to refrigerate the brulees for 1 hour after broiling to reset the custard or broil with molds in an ice bath.
Source: "The Olives Dessert Table" by Todd English, Paige Retus, and Sally Sampson
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 278 Calories; 25g Fat (80.9% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 214mg Cholesterol; 94mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Simply wonderful, Pan-Roasted Winter Vegetables come to life with herbs and Marsala. An ideal side d...
The sweet richness of orange enhances this simple Hollandaise and the aromatic flavor of fresh aspar...
Chocolate Chip Muffins are a delicious, favorite morning treat, perfect with a cup of coffee for a q...
In summertime, a perfect ending to a glorious meal is found in the luxurious delight of Ice Cream wi...