These fun sandwiches either frighten or amuse your guests. Perfect for small Halloween get togethers. Be creative and adapt it to your personal tastes or techniques.
- 4 bagels, each with a small, through hole
- 4 slices thick bologna or salami, preferably cut on the bias, so it is an oval, not round shape
- 1 pound cream cheese, preferably vegetable flavor
- 8 Spanish olives (filled with pimiento)
- Slice the olives so that you have no less than 8 disks, each 1/4-inch thick, looking like green eyes with red centers. Chop remaining olive pieces and blend into cream cheese mixture.
- Make sure bagels are sliced through horizontally.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on the lower half of the bagel and place the top half over the bottom.
- Push the bologna or salami into the bagel hole, so that it looks like a tongue sticking out of the middle of the bagel. Lay the tongue flat on one side of the bagel.
- Using just a tiny amount of cream cheese, dab the bagel top where each one of the olive eyes should go and place an olive eye.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve one sandwich per person, with the tongue facing towards the guest. The sandwich stares at them and appears to stick its tongue out at them.
You may substitute liverwurst if you prefer, for the bologna or salami.