The simple but incredible flavor of Garlic Mashed Potatoes adds to any meal. Perfect with roasts or steaks.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 2 pounds medium-size baking potatoes
- 2 heads garlic, broken up but not peeled
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 Cups milk
- salt to taste
- nutmeg to taste
- 4 Tablespoons minced parsley or snipped chives
- PEEL AND CUT POTATOES into quarters. Place in cold water in a medium-size pan, bring to a boil and cook 15-to-20 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, plunge the garlic into boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, then peel when cool enough to handle. Place in a small saute pan with half the butter over low heat for 10 minutes. Be very careful not to let the garlic burn. Add 1 cup of milk, bring to the boil and simmer 2 minutes. Puree in a blender or food mill, or press through a sieve.
- Drain the potatoes well then put through a potato ricer or food mill, or use a potato masher. (Do not use a food processor, as it will make the potatoes gummy.) May be prepared up to this point ahead of time, then reheated in a 325 degrees F oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Add more butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, 1/2 cup warmed milk and seasonings to taste.
- Serve immediately for best flavor.