Gai Tom Kha (Thai Chicken and Coconut Milk Soup)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Soups and Stews
- 4 Cups medium coconut milk
- 1 1/2 Cups chicken stock
- 3 pieces dried galangal (kha), or
- 6 pieces fresh galangal
- 4 stalks fresh lemon grass, bruised,; cut into 2-inch long
- 6 fresh Serrano chiles, sliced into rounds
- 1 large whole chicken breast *
- 4 Tablespoons fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- 5 fresh kaffir lime leaves (makrut),; if available
- 2 fresh limes, juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- * cut into 1/2-inch pieces (with or without bones, see note)
- Combine coconut milk, chicken stock, galangal, lemon grass and 4 of the chiles in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain stock; discard galangal and lemon grass.
- Return stock to a boil, add chicken and simmer until tender, about 2 minutes. Add fish sauce, citrus leaves and remaining chiles. Stir in the lime juice. Garnish with coriander.
- Serves 6 to 8.
- NOTE: Use boned chicken breast if cooking for guests. For the best flavor, however, use a whole small chicken chopped into small pieces with the bones; increase the cooking time until chicken is tender.