Gado-Gado is a salad from Indonesia, made with a variety of vegetables and dressed with an incredibly rich peanut sauce. The paring of vegetables with the sauce is nothing less than remarkable.
- 12 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, blanched
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, roasted
- 12 ounces Romaine or butter lettuce
- 3 ounces celery or fennel, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- Peanut Sauce (below) as needed
- 3 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 jalapeños, minced
- 3 Tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons tamarind paste, dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 ounces ginger, grated
- 1-2 teaspoons Thai red chili paste
- 1 pound chunky peanut butter
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 pound coconut milk
- 2 ounces lemongrass, coarsely chopped
- To serve family-style, on a large platter, arrange eggs, lettuce and vegetables.
- Serve with a side of Peanut Sauce for dipping.
- Alternatively, portion onto individual plates.
- In a sauté pan, heat oil. Sauté shallots and garlic until shallots begin to caramelize. Stir in jalapeños, cook 1 minute.
- Add sugar and tamarind. Cook, stirring, until pan is almost dry.
- In a blender, purée ginger, chili paste, peanut butter, ketchup, coconut milk and lemongrass. Add shallot-garlic mixture and pulse until smooth.
- Serve in a sauceboat or cup along with salad.
Summer is the perfect time to prepare Peach and Ricotta Tart, an exceptional Northern Italian desser...
Armagnac Truffles are sultry, sexy, seductive morsels of soft chocolate that melts upon the palate. ...
Kerry Casserole is a classic Irish dish, made with meaty Irish bacon, and sliced potatoes. The flav...
Spiced Cantaloupe Pickle is a wonderful treat in colder months to enjoy the fruits of summertime. Th...