Gado-Gado is a salad from Indonesia, made with a variety of vegetables and dressed with an incredibly rich peanut sauce. The paring of vegetables with the sauce is nothing less than remarkable.
- 12 hard-cooked eggs
- 1 1/2 pounds green beans, blanched
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, roasted
- 12 ounces Romaine or butter lettuce
- 3 ounces celery or fennel, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, cut into strips
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- Peanut Sauce (below) as needed
- 3 Tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 jalapeños, minced
- 3 Tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons tamarind paste, dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 ounces ginger, grated
- 1-2 teaspoons Thai red chili paste
- 1 pound chunky peanut butter
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 pound coconut milk
- 2 ounces lemongrass, coarsely chopped
- To serve family-style, on a large platter, arrange eggs, lettuce and vegetables.
- Serve with a side of Peanut Sauce for dipping.
- Alternatively, portion onto individual plates.
- In a sauté pan, heat oil. Sauté shallots and garlic until shallots begin to caramelize. Stir in jalapeños, cook 1 minute.
- Add sugar and tamarind. Cook, stirring, until pan is almost dry.
- In a blender, purée ginger, chili paste, peanut butter, ketchup, coconut milk and lemongrass. Add shallot-garlic mixture and pulse until smooth.
- Serve in a sauceboat or cup along with salad.
Laverbread is a traditional Welsh dish made from seaweed. It is a staple of the Welsh breakfast, a s...
Quite flavorful, colorful and delicious, Classic Russian Chilled Borscht is a gem of Eastern Europea...
Leek and Potato Soup with Country Ham is a delicious soup full of outstanding flavor including count...
Boston Cream Pie is really a delicious cake and perfectly delightful, generally simple, and adored b...