You can’t help but love these wonderful little fritters. We adored them with a dollop of sour cream and caviar or plain. Also known as Onion Pakoras or Onion Bhajiis, they come from the Indian province of Maharashtra, home of Mumbia, and India’s wealthiest region. Often sold as street food, these tasty morsels are a favorite.
These delectable small fritters, flavored with onion make a great accompaniment to many dishes; superb appetizers; an outstanding side dish when joined by other vegetables and finally, exceptional hors d’oeuvres.
- 4 onions; grated
- 8 cloves garlic; finely minced
- 2 Tablespoons minced seeded fresh hot chilies
- 1/4 Cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon fenugreek
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- oil for frying
- Mix all of the ingredients except the oil together well. Fry a small patty in a bit of oil in a skillet to test for seasoning. Add salt and more cayenne at this time if you wish. Divide into 16 to 20 equal portions and form into balls. You may need to lightly dust your hands with flour to prevent sticking.
- Put 4 inches of vegetable oil into a deep fryer or wok and heat to 375 degrees (the oil should be hot but not smoking). Fry the bhugias a few at a time for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Fry one first and break open to make sure they will be done on the inside, reduce the heat slightly and test again. Drain thoroughly on paper towels and serve hot.
Bhugias are fritters, usually made with one or more vegetables. The term comes from Fiji, in the Pacific.
Pumpkin Crème Brûlée is a perfect substitute for pumpkin pie during autumnal holidays or as a grand ...
Delightful, our recipe for Coleslaw is especially tasty with Barbecue. Great on sandwiches or as a s...
One of the favorite recipes from Italy, a great Baked Lasagna is an perfect family meal. Serve with ...
An extraordinary recipe: Layered Crepe Torte, filled with jam, and served with a rich but simple cho...