Fried Apple Pie
Author: Amanda Cook
Recipe type: Dessert
- 4 Tablespoons clarified butter
- 6 Fuji apples, cut into small dice
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- cinnamon, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup water
- apple juice, as needed
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 15 4-inch rounds pastry dough
- Canola oil, for frying
- In a large sauté pan, heat butter. Add apples and vanilla seeds; sauté 1 minute. Stir in sugar in three additions, allowing it to melt in between. Season to taste with cinnamon and salt.
- To make the slurry, mix cornstarch with water. Gradually mix the slurry into the apple mixture until the consistency resembles jam (if the mixture gets too thick, thin with apple juice). Stir in lemon juice. Let cool.
- To assemble pies, roll pastry dough into rounds 1/3-inch thick. Place 2 Tbsp. of filling in the center of each circle; fold in half, crimp edges with a fork, and press well to seal.
- In a deep pot or fryer, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
- Fry pies in small batches (do not overcrowd) until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes.