A cross between a chicken dish and a stew, Fricassee of Chicken with Winter Vegetables is a crowd pleaser, and a great way to get the kids eating their veggies. Seriously delish!
- 6 large chicken thighs; skin, bones removed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Cups leeks, well washed, in 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 2 Cups carrots, scrubbed, in 1/4 inch thick diagonal cuts
- 1 1/2 Cups fennel or celery, in thick crosswise slices
- 1 1/2 Cups parsnips or turnips, in 1/2 inch dice
- 1 Cup sliced crimini or button mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon slivered garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes; or to taste
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaf
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 3 Cups rich chicken stock
- 1 large red or white waxy potato (3/4 pound); cut thick julienne
- 1 Cup diced, seeded, fresh or drained, canned tomatoes
- 1 Cup coarsely-chopped Swiss chard or spinach
- chopped fresh parsley; for garnish
- grated lemon zest; for garnish
- In a large casserole, saute the chicken in two tablespoons of olive oil until lightly browned on all sides. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Discard fat in casserole and add the leeks, carrots, fennel, parsnips, mushrooms and garlic with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and saute over moderate heat until lightly colored.
- Add the pepper flakes, oregano, bay leaf, fennel seed, wine and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add reserved chicken thighs pushing them down into vegetable mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes and chard and cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes more or until potatoes are just tender.
- Serve in warm wide-rim soup plates with a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley and grated lemon zest if desired.
For anyone who loves crispy potatoes, Lacy Potato Pancakes (Latkes) is the perfect solution. Serve w...
Festive Green Beans with Almonds makes a delightful dinner even more impressive and delicious with e...
You can dislike cherries, or cherry pie, but you're going to love Black Cherry Ice Cream. Add dark c...
Game Hens with Olives makes an exceptional, exciting and alluring dinner. It is classy, but not aloo...