A cross between a chicken dish and a stew, Fricassee of Chicken with Winter Vegetables is a crowd pleaser, and a great way to get the kids eating their veggies. Seriously delish!
- 6 large chicken thighs; skin, bones removed
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 Cups leeks, well washed, in 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 2 Cups carrots, scrubbed, in 1/4 inch thick diagonal cuts
- 1 1/2 Cups fennel or celery, in thick crosswise slices
- 1 1/2 Cups parsnips or turnips, in 1/2 inch dice
- 1 Cup sliced crimini or button mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon slivered garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes; or to taste
- 2 teaspoons oregano leaf
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 3 Cups rich chicken stock
- 1 large red or white waxy potato (3/4 pound); cut thick julienne
- 1 Cup diced, seeded, fresh or drained, canned tomatoes
- 1 Cup coarsely-chopped Swiss chard or spinach
- chopped fresh parsley; for garnish
- grated lemon zest; for garnish
- In a large casserole, saute the chicken in two tablespoons of olive oil until lightly browned on all sides. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Discard fat in casserole and add the leeks, carrots, fennel, parsnips, mushrooms and garlic with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and saute over moderate heat until lightly colored.
- Add the pepper flakes, oregano, bay leaf, fennel seed, wine and stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add reserved chicken thighs pushing them down into vegetable mixture. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes and chard and cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes more or until potatoes are just tender.
- Serve in warm wide-rim soup plates with a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley and grated lemon zest if desired.
A glorious bean recipe from New England, Weymouth Baked Beans offers superior flavors and delightful...
An historic recipe dating back to medieval Wales, Chicken and Leek Pie offers incredible, comforting...
Hungarian Cucumber Salad made with sour cream is a light and refreshing side dish common in Hungary....
Asparagus Gratin makes a glorious side dish for your meal, providing diners a glorious flavor ideal ...