There are few finer summertime desserts than a good Fresh Peach Cobbler. This exceptional dessert may be served plain or with ice cream and is always delicious.
Fresh Peach Cobbler
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 Cups peeled fresh or canned peaches, drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons shortening
- 1/2 Cup milk
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg in a 2 quart saucepan. Stir in peaches and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Pour into ungreased 2 quart casserole dish or individual ramekins.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, 1 Tablespoon sugar and salt. Add the shortening and cut through with a fork until flour clings to shortening. Add milk. Form into a ball. Drop mixture by teaspoonsful onto hot fruit (6-8 for the 2 quart casserole, less for individual ramekins)..
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
You may substitute any fruit for the peaches, just being careful that the amounts are approximately the same.