Fresh Beef Hash
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
Serves: 4 to 6
- 7 pounds (455 g) blade or rump beef steak
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 Tablespoon wine vinegar or Sherry vinegar
- 1 drop of Worcestershire sauce
- salt pepper
- 1 pound (455 g) potatoes, peeled
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil
- Angostura bitters or Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1. Remove any fat and gristle from the meat.
- Mince it coarsely and mix with the tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Finely dice or coarsely grate the potatoes and mix them with the meat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy frying pan and cook the hash, stirring frequently, first on a high heat to brown the meat, then with the heat turned down, until the beef and potatoes are cooked.
- A little water can be added from time to time, as can a drop of Worcestershire sauce, Angostura and/or Tabasco.
Serve topped with a poached or sunny-side-up egg for a great breakfast.[br][br]Makes an excellent dinner, too.