French Style Short Ribs
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Beef
Serves: 6 to 8
- 5 pounds beef short ribs, halved
- 1/2 Cup flour
- salt, white pepper and Cayenne
- pepper to taste
- 3 Cups chopped onions
- 1 Cup chopped carrot
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crumbled oregano leaves
- rind of 1 orange, minced
- 1 Cup orange juice
- 2 Cups dry red wine
- 1 Cup water
- 1/2 Cup Nicoise or other black olives
- 1/2 Cup green olives
- Heat oven to 450 degress, Dredge ribs in mixture of flour, salt and peppers. Place ribs, bone-side down, in single layer in shallow baking pan lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn and bake 30 minutes longer.
- Transfer ribs to platter. In large ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven, saute onion in 2 tablespoons of pan drippings from ribs for 5 minutes. Add carrot; saute 5 minutes; add garlic and saute another minute. Blend in any remaining flour from dredging and cook about 30 seconds. Place ribs in same skillet or Dutch oven; sprinkle with oregano and orange rind.
- Combine orange juice, wine and water and pour over ribs. Bring to boiling over moderate heat. Cover pan and return to oven. Lower heat to 350 degrees and bake 1 hour, or until ribs are tender when pierced with fork.
- Spoon off as much fat as possible. Baste with pan liquid. Scatter olives and bake another 30 minutes. Serve over egg noodles.