French-Style Peas present a unique blend of flavors and textures that complete any main course, particularly in Springtime.
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 6 strips bacon; cut into 1/4-inch wide dice
- 12 small white onions; peeled
- 1/2 head Boston lettuce; cut in coarse julienne strips
- 1 1/2 pounds green peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 2 Cups water; or enough to cover
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- In a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, fry the bacon slowly until half done. Add onions and lettuce, stir, and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the peas, salt, sugar, pepper, chicken bouillon and water to cover.
- Continue to cook slowly until peas are heated through and done to the desired degree of firmness.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, make a roux of the butter and flour. Add roux to peas and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir once before serving.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.