A great and simple recipe for French Onion Soup, this classic dish is a glorious treat for a Sunday brunch or midweek meal. The cheese topping is both tasty and fun, and the soup below it a heart-warming comforting delight.
- 1/2 Cup butter (1 stick)
- 5 onions; thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 Quarts beef stock
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 1/2 Cup dry Sherry
- French baguette (not sourdough), sliced about 1/2-inch thick and toasted
- sliced Gruyere or Swiss cheese (not shredded)
- parsley, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Melt butter in 3-quart pan over medium-low heat. Saute onions in butter until onions are soft and golden, but not brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir frequently and during the cooking, add a few tablespoons of water to soften the onions.
- Add pepper, bay leaf and thyme. Stir and cook 2 minutes.
- Add beef stock and white wine. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Skim off fat and add Sherry.
- Toast sliced baquette. Optionally, you may butter the bread slices, or rub garlic on the toasted slices.
- Preheat broiler to 500 degrees F.
- Portion soup into heatproof bowls or onion soup crocks, leaving about 1/2-inch space from the rim of the bowl. Add two or three slices of toasted baguette -- enough to cover the surface of the soup.
- Cover with sliced cheese, allowing a little of the cheese to overlap the rim of the bowl.
- Set the bowls on a baking sheet and place in the broiler. Allow to broil about 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully remove when the cheese is fully melted and bubbling on top, and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and optionally sprinkle with a little parsley. Serve piping hot, with some warm baguette on the side. The extra baguette is helpful in soaking up the soup and cheese at the bottom of the bowl.
Lobster Bolognese is a somewhat complex recipe, the creation of our dear friend Rick Moonen. Rich in...
Sweet Corn and Lemongrass Soup is a wondrous dish, with rich, exotic flavors, yet incredible comfort...
City School Sour Cream Coffee Cake is way too good just for the kiddies. Superb flavor makes it perf...
In Italy, crepes are made for a variety of purposes, from appetizers to desserts. Four Cheese Crespe...