This Irish version of Forfar Bridies is a pleasure-filled meat pie. Serve it with baked beans and a vegetable, if desired.
Forfar Bridies (Irish)
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Main Course
- 12 ounces lean ground lamb or ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tablespoons beef broth or stock
- pastry for double-crust pie (short crust or puff pastry)
- 1 egg white, frothed lightly with a fork
- Cook meat until it is no longer pink; drain thoroughly and add onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and just enough stock or broth to moisten the mixture.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Roll pastry on a floured board to a 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into rounds; depending on preference, they can be from 3 to 6 inches in diameter.
- Spoon filling onto the bottom half of each circle; fold over and crimp edges tightly. Brush lightly with egg white and cut three slashes in top of each.
- Place on flat baking sheet. Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve hot