Fondue Vaudoise is a delicious, original recipe for fondue coming directly from Switzerland, where fondue was created. Simply wonderful, but best with Kirsch. Extraordinary dining and perfect for cold wintry nights.
- Grate or shred the cheese.
- Cut the bread into cubes.
- Peel the garlic, halve, rub the inside of a cast iron fondue dish (caquelon) with the garlic.
- Pour the wine into the dish, place the dish on the hot stove (not too hot), add the cheese and stir CONTINUOUSLY until it has melted.
- Blend the corn starch with the kirsch. Stir into cheese fondue. Bring back to a boil, STIR CONTINUOUSLY! Season with pepper and nutmeg.
- Transfer the dish to a burner and let simmer.
- Impale a piece of bread on the fondue fork and dip into the cheese.
- Serve a dry white wine or black tea with a fondue. Top the meal with a 'small' glass of kirsch (cherry schnapps)!