The beauty of Fluffernutter Ice Cream is the rich combination of sultry and alluring flavors that appeal to even the most discriminating palates. For those of you who don’t know what a Fluffernutter is, it is normally a peanut butter sandwich with marshmallow spread. In this exceptional ice cream, we replace the bread with a custard base and a hint of vanilla.
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 1 Cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1/2 Cup peanut butter, preferably smooth
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup Marshmallow Fluff
- 1/2 Cup butterscotch chips
- Fill a large bowl or pan with ice and water. Place a large, clean bowl in the ice bath and fit the bowl with a fine-mesh strainer.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, milk, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until hot but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla until well blended.
- Remove the cream mixture from the heat. Slowly pour about half of the hot cream mixture into the yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Transfer the yolk mixture back to the saucepan with the remaining cream mixture and return it to medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula and being sure to scrape the bottom of the saucepan so it doesn’t scorch, until the liquid begins to steam and you can feel the spatula scrape against the bottom of the pan, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the custard from the heat and immediately pour it through the strainer into the clean bowl you set up in the ice bath. Let cool, stirring occasionally.
- When the custard has totally cooled, cover the bowl tightly and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or preferably overnight. When you are ready to freeze the custard, transfer it to an ice cream maker and spin according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Right after spinning, fold in the Marshmallow Fluff and chips.
- Eat immediately, or transfer to an airtight container, cover, and freeze for up to 1 week.
Enjoy the Thanksgiving season with Holiday Cranberry Squash, a marvelously low-calorie side dish tha...
The French excel at making simple, rich and flavorful tarts that can do no less than delight. Tarte ...
A simple, elegant and utterly delicious side dish, Apple-spiked Acorn Squash soon becomes a family f...
There's incredible flavor in Grilled Teres Major Steak with Mushroom and Celery Root Ragout, particu...