Fish, Veracruz Style
Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
Recipe type: Seafood
- 1 onion, chopped well
- 6 to 8 red snapper fillets
- 1 small can pimientos, chopped coarsely
- 2 Tablespoons capers
- 1 jar green olives, pitted and chopped coarsely, 3-ounce
- parsley, fresh, chopped as a garnish
- 3 boiled potatoes (optional)
- 6 Tablespoons oil
- 1 no. 2 1/2 can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy skillet.
- Combine the tomatoes with the sugar, chili powder, allspice, garlic, orange rind, salt, pepper and onion. Blend well and simmer in oil for about 10 minutes, covered.
- Coat baking dish with remaining oil. Put the fish in baking dish; add the pimientos, capers and olives to the tomato mixture and pour over the fish.
- Bake in a moderate (350 degree) oven for about 30-35 minutes or until fish flakes easily when pierced with a fork.
- Sprinkle with just enough fresh parsley to add a little color.
Serve the potatoes on the side or some people prefer to add cubed, hot, boiled potatoes to the fish during the last 5-7 minutes of cooking.